get the boot

Image acquired from Wikimedia Commons and used with permission. Left image attribution: Safedom. Middle image attribution: public domain. Right image attribution: Kenneth Allen

Explanation:

American cartoons actually have many funny and absurd idioms in them. In the old cartoons when someone was forced to leave a place, he wasn't just asked to leave, he was actually carried over to an open door, and then kicked (sometimes with a boot) into the street. In real life, most of the time, people don't get forced out of somewhere physically, but they are often told to leave a place or a company and never return.

Note: This expression can be used in the past (got the boot) or the future (will or going to get the boot).

Variations: He was booted out. They booted him out. They gave him the boot.
When someone is forced to leave a place, we say that he or she got the boot.
Example:

Susan: Hey Joe. Why are you putting all the stuff from your desk into a box?

Joe: The boss fired me. He told me to leave and never come back. I finally got the boot.

Susan: How did it happen?

Joe: It's ridiculous really. The boss fired me just because he caught me sleeping in my office for the 57th time.

Susan: That's too bad. Now you don't have a job.

Joe: Don't worry. I'm sure I can find another office to sleep in!

Is English your second language? Would you like to learn English from anywhere? If so, you should check out some of the talking dictionaries and translators (aff) from Ectaco.

No comments:

Post a Comment